Hopefully I Won’t Break Out Before the Premiere

During the recuperation period from my surgery, I am not ashamed to admit that I read some Young Adult Fiction.

The Hunger Games, to be precise.

I had bought the e-book versions because a) I am a geek, b) I just had to know what all the fuss was about, and c) I was sort of hoping that the Munchkin would be able to read them also.  And any writing that falls into the YA category is vetted by me personally before he gets to read it.  I don’t think he needs to stumble upon some description of two teens having sexual relations at the age of 9.  There will be plenty of that in the years to come, I’m sure.

Uh, OK, I was just really distracted by that last sentence and reminded of my friend who has vowed never to talk to her son about sex.  Ever.  She cannot wrap her mind around the fact that our sons will be hitting puberty sooner rather than later.

Anyhoo, I burned through all three books in about four days, between snoozing sessions.

And now, pathetically, I cannot wait to see the movie.

Yeah, all the 14 year olds and I will be lining up at midnight.

And here I thought I had escaped all that by not reading any of the Twilight books.

6 Responses to “Hopefully I Won’t Break Out Before the Premiere”

1. Stella February 23, 2012 at 9:59 am #

AHHH The Hunger Games!! I totally avoided Harry Potter and Twilight only to be sucked in – at least there’s only 3. I really really enjoyed these! So I guess I’ll also be lining up with the tweens on 3/23…

2. dgm February 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

So is it appropriate for a 9 y.o.? My son has been begging to read it. I purchased it with the intention to read it and decide, but I haven’t had the time yet.

• Glinda February 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

You know, I decided against letting him read it.

I mean, there is no sex, just lots of kissing and a love triangle, but my main problem is that it is so damn bleak. And, uh, the body count is insanely high. There are some fairly gruesome deaths that are described in detail, and despite the ending they tacked on, it’s quite depressing.

Lots of political intrigue, social commentary and such, and to be honest I don’t think he’d really like it other than some of the action stuff.

I think I will wait a year or so, but your little guy could have a different outlook on things.

• dgm February 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

That’s very helpful–thank you! My daughter said to wait as well, for similar reasons. I actually think he’d like the political intrigue and social commentary stuff (as well as the action!) but it just seems so DARK, and he’s a sensitive one. So yes, we will wait another year and maybe by then I will have read it. Thanks again!

3. Seana February 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

I “read” all these books (on audio) and allowed my 13 and 10 year old to listen to the first book. I told my 10 year old that he would have to really “read” the books if he wanted to hear the rest of the story because they are so dark. I also told him I would prefer if he waited a couple more years. The whole plot of the book is that young people (SPOILER ALERT) are put in a location together with the requirement of killing each other until only one of them is left standing. It only gets more dark as the books go on. I did allow my 13 year old to read all the books and he enjoyed them, but even he agreed that they were a bit much for his little brother.

4. Ripley February 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

I loved these books so much. I encouraged my 13-year-old niece to read them, and now we’re both very excited about the movie.