I promised, and here are my personal downsides to homeschooling. Click here for the Top Ten Things I DO like.
10. Oh, the weight of responsibility! If he can’t get into an Ivy League, I’ve got no one to blame but me. Kidding. Sorta.
9. Storing all of the various and sundry items needed to pursue school at home. Had to purchase a small bookcase just for all the stuff.
8. I’m sure this is different for most people, but I personally dislike being a stern taskmaster.
7. Which brings us to the fact that nine year old boys can be ah, a bit averse to learning. Let alone one who would never speak to a teacher the way he speaks to me when he doesn’t want to do something.
6. The fact that I am probably more critical of him to his face than a teacher would be.
5. Having to do school work when my toddler has pretty much tired me out for the day.
4. Feeling like I have very little time to relax.
3. Having a gnawing feeling that I could be doing any or all of this better than I currently am.
2. Not being able to drop my kid off and have him be someone else’s problem for 6 1/2 hours a day.
1. Trying to balance everything, and somehow coming up short.