Now I’m all for being creative when naming your child. Nobody wants an entire classroom full of Michaels and Marys.
If you find yourself considering a name that meets any of the criteria below, proceed with caution.
1. Car brands
2. Greek gods (Diana=good, Zeus=maybe not)
4. Fruits and vegetables (Resist Apple! I don’t care if that’s what Gwyneth named hers!)
5. Historical figures
6. Names in literature, no matter how great the work (ixnay on the ersephone-Pay)
7. Most celebrity baby names (Pilot Inspektor, anyone?)
8. Makeup brands (Yes, Chanel was a trailblazer and fashion icon, but now all anyone ever thinks of when they hear the name is lipstick)
9. Names with, uh, creative spelling (i.e. Chrystyna)
10. Family names (Jedidiah may have indeed been your great-great grandfather’s name, but how about using it as a middle name instead? There is a reason names fall out of popularity)
What do you think, dear reader?