Quiz: the 1930’s Marital Scale

The Women

While I’ve long suspected I would not flourish in the era, it must be admitted that I love watching Thirties movies, and am slightly addicted to the bizarre hats of the period.

But it’s not a problem. I can stop wearing those hats any time. Seriously. And I’m sure the staff at Home Depot and the grocery store wishes I would.

But now comes scientific(ish) proof, once and for all, that I’d be an absolutely rotten Thirties housewife. I find solace in the fact that so would Katherine Hepburn and Myrna Loy. Oh, who wants to be that insipid martyr Mrs. Stephen Haines, when you could be the fabulously kooky Irene Bullock or the witty and wonderful Nora Charles? They’d both be fabulous failures in this quiz, too.

As a 1930s wife, I am
Very Poor (Failure)

Take the test!

via ArchiesArchive

So what did you get?

Scoring:

0-24 – Very Poor (Failure)
25-41 – Poor
42-58 – Average
59-75 – Superior
76+ – Very Superior

If it makes you feel any better, you can answer for your husband on the 1930’s Husband Quiz as well. Don’t tell him the results; it would only upset the poor darling.

16 Responses to “Quiz: the 1930’s Marital Scale”

1. Brian's Babymomma June 22, 2008 at 8:23 pm #

Damn! My husband is very superior, and I am poor. I don’t think I’ll be telling him about this little quiz.

2. raincoaster June 22, 2008 at 8:41 pm #

How wifely of you!

3. TeleriB June 23, 2008 at 8:55 am #

I am an average wife, but a very superior husband!

4. raincoaster June 23, 2008 at 9:02 am #

I didn’t think to do the husband one for myself. Hmmmm, I should try that. Of course, it will probably only give fodder to reactionaries who’ll say all the women have become masculine, but I say if they’re going to downgrade my wifely status just because I cook canned food in my sock feet, wearing red nail polish and sipping a cocktail, why should we cater to them anymore?

“I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan…” in my sock feet, no less!

5. raincoaster June 23, 2008 at 9:13 am #

I, also, am a very superior husband. Obviously the bar is lower on that side of the bed!

6. Annalucia June 23, 2008 at 9:20 am #

The Annalucia is a “superior” 1930s wife. She thinks she is a pretty good 2000s wife too.

7. gamma June 23, 2008 at 10:39 am #

I am also a superior 1930s wife. I would probably be very superior if I washed the top of the milk bottle, or served fewer meals from tin cans or my local delicatessen.

mr gamma wisely does not complain.

8. La Petite Acadienne June 23, 2008 at 11:17 am #

I’m very superior — huh, go figure. I’m going to show this to Mr. Acadienne and tell him how lucky he is. ;)

“Reacts with delight and pleasure to marital congress.” I love that. I think tonight I’ll say to him, “Darling, should you wish to initiate marital congress, I would react with pleasure and delight.” Of course, I’ll wait until he’s taken a swallow of beer before I say this, just so that I can have the pleasure and delight of seeing him sputter.

9. raincoaster June 23, 2008 at 12:16 pm #

I can’t believe my embroidery skills didn’t help me on this one. Seriously, you should see my ribbon work and shadow stitch. It’s the shizznit.

10. gemdiva June 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm #

OMG – I got a 10! I’m a failure and loving it :-) Raincoaster, I can’t stand Mary Haines either. She is sweet enough to put a diabetic in a coma for a month. However, I do LOVE that movie. Jungle Red, dear.

11. Jennie June 23, 2008 at 11:07 pm #

I got a MINUS 33! LOL! I’d love to be Nora Charles, or Bette Davis…

12. Jennie June 23, 2008 at 11:14 pm #

However, I am a superior 1930’s husband (59 score)…

13. class-factotum June 26, 2008 at 10:09 am #

Ha! I’m superior! I could be better if I would write to Chris’ mom and dad, but they don’t like me (I’m not a socialist atheist environmental activist — oh well) and I just try to stay out of the line of fire. I should also get some nightgowns, but I like Chris’ old t-shirts better and he prefers me nekkid.

14. raincoaster June 26, 2008 at 8:06 pm #

No middle ground here, it seems.

15. La BellaDonna July 16, 2008 at 12:48 pm #

Yikes. Scored “very superior,” here. However, have you noticed how few of these tests offer a section where the wife can check off “Are You Happy? Yes/No” ?

16. raincoaster July 17, 2008 at 2:39 am #

Perhaps being happy was considered a luxury or reward rather than a responsibility back then. It certainly is a responsibility now, and if you’re not happy, you’d better have a damn good excuse as far as society is concerned.