Listmania! Best Christmas Books for Kids

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Christmas books aren’t only for Christmas, you know! But, they can help children understand a sometimes overwhelming time of year. And the best books of all teach them that there is more to the Christmas spirit than just presents under the tree.

The Polar Express

The Night Before Christmas

Olive, The Other Reindeer

Santa Calls

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The Sweet Smell of Christmas (Scented Storybook)

The Legend of the Pointsettia

Mooseltoe

The 12 Days of Christmas (Pop-Up Book)

A Christmas Carol

Dream Snow

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Why Christmas Trees Aren’t Perfect

The Crippled Lamb

Auntie Claus

The Gift of the Magi

11 Responses to “Listmania! Best Christmas Books for Kids”

1. Margaret December 9, 2007 at 9:46 am #

Love the Grinch. Love. Him.

The Crippled Lamb?? Come on…is the subtitle “Book Margaret has never heard of but will make her bawl like a baby”???

Ihave never heard of that one. And I can’t click on the link. Just can’t.

2. gamma December 9, 2007 at 1:03 pm #

Thank you for the book list; I will spend a happy day in the bookstore feasting my eyes and tweaking my Christmas list. :D

Our own family favorite is A Child’s Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas; our preferred edition is illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman.

I can also recommend A Stable in Bethlehem: A Christmas Counting Book by Joy Hulme. (Disclaimer: I know the author well, but–well, sorry Joy, but if I didn’t really like your book, I wouldn’t bring it up.) The illustrations are charming, the rhymes are clear and simple–I’m going to get a lot of mileage out of this as a short bedtime story/story-time story for preschoolers.

3. Joan H. December 10, 2007 at 10:56 am #

Several years ago my kids got a Jan Brett treasury of Christmas stories, and it’s wonderful — big, colorful, and full of stories that the kids love.

I also have to plug The Littlest Angel, my favorite when I was a little girl (I won’t say how many decades ago…) which to this day leaves me all verklempt.

4. Spring December 10, 2007 at 11:25 am #

One of my favorite Christmas books is A Wish For Wings That work by Berkeley Breathed. It’s surprisingly sweet and endearing (surprising because it *is* Berkeley Breathed). Cannot recommend it enough.

5. bijoux du jour December 10, 2007 at 4:33 pm #

I’ll add Mr. Willowby’s Christmas Tree by Robert Barry. It’s really delightful. About all the people and animals that end up sharing one enormous Christmas Tree. And The Christmas Bear by Henrietta Stickland and Paul Stickland, about a little bear who accidently goes on a visit to Santa’s workshop. Beautiful detailed illustrations in this one. These have become old favorites at our house!

6. Gina December 11, 2007 at 2:40 am #

I certainly agree with “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” being on Glinda’s list!

7. raincoaster December 11, 2007 at 4:05 am #

I always liked the old English Christmas ghost stories and The Nutcracker, but then, I’m mental.

8. Gina December 12, 2007 at 2:43 am #

Margaret – – I clicked the link for you! From reading the Amazon comments which tell the plot, it seems to me that “The Crippled Lamb” (hard to believe the word ‘crippled’ is used in this day & age) is basically the same story as “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”. If Glinda thinks this comment gives too much away and to declines post it, I happily defer to her judgement.

9. raincoaster December 13, 2007 at 2:28 am #

OMG, I cannot believe I forgot to put my two cents in for The Father Christmas Letters.

10. Kirsten December 13, 2007 at 3:55 pm #

Yea to “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.” I remember my mom reading to me when I was in 4th grade…not that I couldn’t read it myself…well, I am from WV.

Anyway, my 5 year old son loves the Grinch as well as many other Dr. Seuss books. I think my favorite Christmas story is the simplest–reading Luke 2 on Christmas Eve by candlelight.
    Merry Christmas everyone!

1. The Best Christmas Books » Manolo's Shoe Blog - December 9, 2007

[…] Manolo says, our friend Glinda at the Teeny Manolo has made the list of the Best Christmas Books. […]