Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/teeny/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme_20/admin/functions.php on line 229
Moms with More Hair Use Velcro | Teeny Manolo

Moms with More Hair Use Velcro

Kenneth Cole Reaction Boy’s Shoe

As my colleague raincoaster noted in a previous comment, a lot of people bemoan the fact that many young children’s shoes have velcro closures instead of laces. My goodness, they think, will an entire generation of children grow up never knowing how to tie a knot? How will they ever learn how to sail? Is it even possible to raise children properly when they simply run around never having to experience the hardship of re-tying their shoelaces at various unexpected intervals throughout the day?

But, I’m here to tell you that velcro is not the global menace that it seems, mentally weakening our kids and spoiling them with the ability to stay fastened.

In fact, velcro shoe closures have been proven in double-blind studies to help modern mothers retain 15% more hair than their non-velcroed counterparts.

If you have ever tried to get a toddler/preschooler ready, it can take longer than you anticipate, even though delays are inevitable. You never know if they are going to refuse to brush their teeth because they suddenly dislike the color of the toothpaste, protest getting their hair combed, or even just outright refuse to put their clothes on in favor of jumping on the bed or other worthy pastimes. Children have some sort of built in detector by which they can subconsciously calculate how badly their parents want them to do something. And increase the rebellion levels accordingly.

This can make for a bit of stress, especially if you are operating on a timetable. Which would be the vast majority of the time.

Knowing that a child as young as three, or sometimes even younger, can put on their own set of shoes is a source of great comfort to mothers who are just trying to get themselves out the door, already. It fosters independence. It teaches greater responsibility. It means that I don’t have to get down on the floor and tie them when we are running late. Or in the middle of a mall. Or in the middle of the park. Or… you get the picture.

And let’s be realistic, young children just have not developed the fine motor skills needed to tie their own shoelaces. Yet annoyingly, they still need to wear shoes, so velcro is the great compromise.

Long live velcro!

(Looking for the TeenyManolo Sweepstakes? Go here)

12 Responses to “Moms with More Hair Use Velcro”

1. Steph November 27, 2007 at 9:05 am #

Very well put, Glinda. Long live velcro, indeed! :)

2. patois November 27, 2007 at 10:32 am #

Amen, sista! Hail to the velcro!

3. J November 27, 2007 at 10:39 am #

I agree! When things change from the ways they were when we were growing up, I think it can make us bemoan the results…with time, however, the results turn out to be fine.

My daughter is 11 1/2, and I don’t think she tied shoes as well as I did at the same age. Probably because she didn’t HAVE to. Also, she didn’t tell time as well as I did at the same age. Same reason. You know what? Who cares. She can tie her shoes just fine, and she can tell time just fine, and she doesn’t even REALLY need to know how just yet…I mean, maybe to watch her favorite TV show or something, but for getting to class on time or whatever, there are mothers to walk her to school, bells that ring, etc. So…she learned it in PLENTY of time. With years to spare, actually.

Whew.

4. Mindy November 27, 2007 at 11:17 am #

I’m pregnant, and I have enough trouble getting my own shoes on at this point. Velcro on my kids’ shoes is a blessing, indeed. Huzzah!

5. class-factotum November 27, 2007 at 11:43 am #

I was thrilled when velcro shoes came out. During my college summers, I taught swimming (OK, putting the face in the water and blowing bubbles) to four-year-olds. The class was 25 minutes with a five-minute break before the next class (8 classes each morning). Before velcro, I spent my entire break tying my students’ shoes. After velcro, I could actually rest for a few minutes. I love velcro!

6. Awesome Mom November 27, 2007 at 12:42 pm #

Velcro rocks!!! I hate tying my kid’s lace shoes. It is so much easier to just slap them on and go.

7. dgm November 27, 2007 at 4:30 pm #

In our household, flip flops and boots (cowboy boots, rain boots, Aussie Dogs, etc.) rule. No laces, no velcro, just a simple slip of each foot into the foot vessel.

8. Bridey November 27, 2007 at 4:44 pm #

Hooray for Velcro! There’s nothing magic about tying shoes — if it’s a necessary skill, they’ll learn it eventually, and if it turns out to be unnecessary, what’s really lost? I don’t expect kids to know how to work a buttonhook, either.

9. raincoaster November 27, 2007 at 5:25 pm #

Ahem. Darling, we must agree to differ. You give many practical reasons for velcro; as usual, your reasons are well thought out, expressed with elegance and wit, and quite practical.

However.

They are not really reasons to switch to velcro: they are reasons to switch to loafers, which look ever so much nicer.

I speak as one who spent some precious minutes this morning delicately separating a $15 pair of stockings from someone else’s shoe velcro… not that I’m bitter.

10. BadHairDad November 27, 2007 at 9:35 pm #

Being as concerned with hair as I normally am, I was certain the headline on the counterpoint (“Moms with More Hair Use Velcro“) was about poor long-haired moms getting their hair tangled in their kids shoes.

Shoes with clingy fabric closures are no more dangerous than any others, but I do stand by my original theory that 98% of all velcro shoe straps are installed backwards.

Other than a recent laundry ban imposed by GoodHairMom (something about my velcro-enhanced boardshorts ruining her lacy intimates), I’m good with it for shoes.