Turducken: holiday meal of champions

Let no man/woman/child say we are not all about the servicey pieces here at TeenyManolo. In keeping with our untrammelled serviceyness, we would like to present this instructional video on creating that tasty holiday classic, turducken. Boy oh boy, the mouth just waters at the mere thought of this glorious carnivorous feast!

This reminds me of a stuffed camel recipe my mother picked up in Riyadh; it started with a tiny songbird and ended, of course, with a camel. Some people pick up souvenir tees, my mother collected disgusting recipes. Ah, the fond memories I have of making pickled sheep’s eyes (memories of consuming them, somewhat less fond, actually)!

8 Responses to “Turducken: holiday meal of champions”

1. Phyllis November 23, 2007 at 10:14 pm #

I’ve been reading about these for yeas, and I always wonder what you do with the leftovers.

2. raincoaster November 24, 2007 at 3:57 pm #

Scare vegans?

3. alejna November 26, 2007 at 12:21 am #

I found the video disturbing yet strangely compelling, but was disappointed not to get to see it sliced up. I wonder if it looks a bit like a meat jelly roll…

4. Mr. Henry November 26, 2007 at 11:46 am #

Ayyyy! Mr. Henry recalls his very favorite recipe from the old Joy of Cooking, a recipe not included in the updated version (!). Found in the frozen food section near the back, it is an Eskimo recipe for stuffed walrus, one that always comes to mind during discussions of stuffings at Thanksgiving.

Gut your walrus. In its cavity place one flock of small birds after having removed one wing feather from each wing. Sew the cavity closed, cover the walrus in snow, and leave it outside to freeze for the winter.

Come spring, partially thaw, slice and serve.

5. raincoaster November 26, 2007 at 2:48 pm #

Mr. Henry, as I live in Canada, I shall try that historical gem and report back. My roommate is a vegan, so that should get him out of the house once and for all!

6. Phyllis November 26, 2007 at 10:34 pm #

But it’s a gut bomb. Right up there with Haggis.

7. raincoaster November 27, 2007 at 6:15 pm #

Phyllis, are you an anti-haggisarian?

1. Slice and serve » Manolo's Food Blog - November 26, 2007

[...] and unable to post, he read two excellent Manolosphere entries: Twistie on Christmas gifts and raincoaster on turducken, a fresh new Frankenstein monster for [...]