Mini-Mom

As part of my duties here at Teeny Manolo, I look at a lot of shoes and clothing. One day, I stumbled upon a site wherein my eyes were greeted with this picture. And I apologize in advance for subjecting you to the embroidery close-up. Why did they feel the need to focus on the fact that it is indeed a sunflower? Would people have gotten upset if they ordered it and it looked like a daisy? Were they afraid of false advertising lawsuits? I’m confused. Anyhoo, here it is:

Matching Mom and Girl Jumpers

Now, I’m not really sure about this sort of thing. I don’t have a daughter, so I suppose you could say that I can in no way imagine the type of bond in which it would seem like a good idea to dress as clones. I know that little girls can worship their moms, but is it really a good idea to match?

I was trying to think of a time when matching clothes would be cute and appropriate, but all I could come up with was a family photo. And even then, sometimes it doesn’t look all that great.

The closest I could come to approving the whole “let’s look alike” thing was this concept from Hanna Anderssen:

Hanna Anderssen Matching Outfits

It works for me because you are copying colors and patterns but in different ways. So you look similar but not like you are on your way to an identical twin convention. Which really doesn’t work because you are obviously not twins. Do you see why I have a hard time with this concept?

And, just remember, imitation isn’t necessarily the sincerest form of flattery. Not when there’s only one person buying the clothes.

14 Responses to “Mini-Mom”

1. Ginger September 5, 2007 at 2:21 pm #

Well, I think they are cute (the outfits). I usually wouldn’t pay to have “matching outfits” – they are usually so overpriced. But sometimes my “mini-me” and I coordinate our outfits just for fun! It’s something to do together that the boys can’t be part of (as if they wanted to!).

2. Sonia September 5, 2007 at 2:23 pm #

I am a big Hanna Andersson fan and have seen the myriad of mom-daughter offerings but have yet to purchase. I guess, even though, for now, my daughters do give me thumbs up for style and makeup application when I actually attempt such endeavors…well, I just don’t care to look EXACTLY the same. I did dress my boys and my girls in matching outfits TO EACH OTHER when they were babies and toddlers, for photos and whatnot because my MIL couldn’t leave a store without buying these kids matching stuff for photos. But when the whole fam damily is in the photo, these days, I just hope we all look clean and have our hair combed.

3. Glinda September 5, 2007 at 3:40 pm #

Ginger- I don’t mind coordinating, just not matching.

Sona- I agree, photos are usually different. And yes, HA has many different offerings in this category.

4. raincoaster September 5, 2007 at 6:24 pm #

I love the HA outfits; they’re individual and age-appropriate, but related. That’s a degree of sophistication, even in kid’s clothes, that’s worth paying for. Far too often you see 40-year-olds wearing pinafores (as above: cheap, banal pinafores!) or some little kid trying to manage a chemise. There just aren’t that many cuts that work for everybody, and the Mom Silhouette (rayon floral print sack dress with ties in the back) suits virtually nobody.

I love the matching outfits when they’re well-done, but agree they’re kinda overkill and oversweet on most occasions. A parent day at school like Games Day or something would be a good occasion to wear something like this.

5. JaneC September 5, 2007 at 6:36 pm #

I like the coordinating-but-not-matching look. Now that I am an adult, my mother and I go shopping together and frequently end up trying on the same outfits–we are the same height and coloring, and similar build. We try not to buy the same item in the same color, though!

Matching mini-me outfits are adorable when it is the little girl and her doll. My mother made me and my baby doll matching dresses when I was little; everyone thought it was cute, and I loved it.

6. Glinda September 5, 2007 at 6:44 pm #

Rain- HA makes some really nice stuff, no doubt. I think they’ve done he idea cleverly.

JaneC- I think it is different when it is adults vs. kids. The doll thing is cute when you see it. Thus, the American Girl empire. Hmmm, I think I’ve got a post there.

7. Liz September 5, 2007 at 10:55 pm #

My Mom used to dress me up in matching outfits to help her serve at my Dad’s work related cocktail functions. Even down to the hair-do. I decided pretty early on that I wouldn’t do that with my girls.

If you have to do it though, the coordinating is way cuter than the matching.

8. Que Sarah September 6, 2007 at 1:21 am #

I had a little sister, and my mom would dress the two of us up in matching dresses, usually homemade. It looks really cute in the old pictures, I’m not gonna lie. We looked very different as little children, so that helped avoid a host of problems — we are already very individual.

I’m in consensus with the other posters, though, that coordinating mom and daughter generally makes either the mom look too frivolous and cutsey or the child look too old and severe.

9. Joan September 6, 2007 at 11:35 am #

The coordinating mom/daughter outfits remind me, unfortunately, of all the clothes that Maria made for the von Trapp kids out of the curtains. They were all the same (ugly) fabric, but different styles for each kid. That’s fine for an oddly rebellious movie family, but in reality it looks odd to me. I have to say I have never seen matching, or even coordinating, mom&daughter outfits in real life.

10. Twistie September 6, 2007 at 11:56 am #

I’m so glad my mother never put us in matching outfits! She did, however, sew all my clothes when I was a kid and would often use the leftover fabric to make dresses for my favorite doll. But even when I put the doll in a dress I had, I usually chose to wear something else that day.

Matching people (or even dolls) was never my thing.

11. Glinda September 6, 2007 at 12:55 pm #

Que Sarah- My mom did the same thing sometimes, even though we were almost six years apart!

Joan- I’ve seen them. Unfortunately. But not that often.

Twistie- I agree.

12. Steph September 7, 2007 at 9:40 am #

I don’t do the Mommy-daughter matching with my girls, but oftentimes they will want to dress like each other (they’re only 3 and 5). I’m sure this won’t last for long, but it looks cute when they do it. I must also add, it’s always them doing the matching to each other, not me. And, usually someone else (grandma or aunt) who bought the matching clothes…

13. Glinda September 7, 2007 at 1:31 pm #

Liz- I totally agree.

Steph- Right, those grandmas are notorious for the matching clothes!

14. JaneC September 8, 2007 at 9:33 pm #

My aunt bought matching clothes for me and her three daughters–usually red or green dresses for Christmas. I think we enjoyed the novelty of dressing alike, or at least I did, since I had no sisters and it was only once or twice a year.

I have a niece who is only six years younger than me, and we had matching outfits once. She thought it was the coolest thing in the world, and I, at 12, enjoyed the novelty of someone actually thinking that I was cool.

I have seen both matching mother-daughter outfits, and a family with several children all dressed in coordinating outfits. The mother-daughter dresses were pretty hideous (lots of pink flowers and lace and very outdated at the time), but the family in coordinating outfits had a good excuse: for economic reasons, the mother made most of their clothes herself, and she had been given a huge bolt of cloth for free. So everyone had to wear navy blue for a while. I guess it’s good that it was solid blue and not a print–it just sort of looked like they were wearing school uniforms.