the Voracious Reader

Etsy is a strange and foreign land, a land populated by hipster/craftster hybrids who, all too often, produce objects which are equal parts amusing and repulsive, and utterly, utterly useless.

Unlike this supercute onesie:

I chew books

And, HELLO! ten bucks!

Via Doppelganger’s 50Books blog, from whence I also stole the title.

This is a great little gift for a spirited and book-loving baby! HANDPAINTED, 100% cotton onesie is comfy and tagless to prevent the itchies. Paints used are non-toxic and stay color-and-image-true, wash after wash.

Onesie comes rolled and tied with coordinating ribbon. Nora Bella hang tags are also included. Gift wrap and name card for baby are FREE — just let me know in the “notes” at checkout.

Although I’m well aware of the practical reasons for having separate tops and bottoms on babies, I must confess to a weakness for onesies; they’re just so damned adorable! And very handy for hanging around the house, as most babies tend to do a fair bit of. The self-mockery of the message is acceptable because presumably everyone who will see it at home knows, and loves, the baby. I’m not fond of self-mocking tees chosen by adults that make fun of the baby wearing them, because this, of course, is the sort of thing that sends the baby to therapy when it’s a bit older, but in this case and those circumstances, it’s all right. I wouldn’t put this on a baby and parade it at the American Book Fair or something.

6 Responses to “the Voracious Reader”

1. Glinda August 31, 2007 at 11:06 am #

This one is cute. Others that I have seen, just sort of shocking. Who is buying this stuff?

2. ML August 31, 2007 at 11:31 am #

I think it’s very cute!

3. Twistie August 31, 2007 at 12:11 pm #

Once upon a time I worked in a bookstore. One of the regular customers had a very small baby who she carried in one of those baby backpack things. The little dear had reached an age where reaching and grasping were exciting new Fun Things To Do and where upon grasping said items the most logical course that presented itself to her was to gnaw on them.

Every week this woman would come up to the counter with two or three books that little Megan had ‘chosen’ with her gums. I don’t think she read a book that wasn’t soggy until the kid finished teething.

This onesie makes me think of little Megan who was sort of the store mascot. Fond memories.

4. Joan August 31, 2007 at 4:54 pm #

Onesies are essential baby and toddler wear, because otherwise the little tummies are forever exposed, or worse, the elastic waistband of the pants or shorts is rubbing uncomfortably on baby’s skin.

This one is quite adorable, and would’ve been appropriate for all 3 of my kids!

5. raincoaster August 31, 2007 at 8:09 pm #

Glad you like it. As I said, Etsy is generally too hardcore hipster to provide decent baby clothes, but this works. I really aught to do a “what do you people think you are doing” post about designers who make t-shirts that make fun of the baby wearing them. In fact, I think I’ll do that right now. Those designers need to be jammed into an “I’m with stupid…no wait, I AM stupid” straight jacket and kept away from children.

6. raincoaster August 31, 2007 at 8:10 pm #