The Prince and the Pea

I have always wondered why clothing manufacturers insist on putting huge, sometimes multiple tags on children’s clothes.

They drive my son nuts.  He was known as a toddler to frantically clutch the back of his neck and simultaneously howl his disapproval of the tags.   Like the princess of the fairy tale, he was so sensitive to any sort of uncomfortable fabric that he refused to even lie down until it was gone.  I know, I know, I won the lottery with this one, didn’t I?  I would have to remove the offending garment from his delicate personage, get some scissors, and cut off the tag right then and there.  At first I tried to plead with him to just go to bed and deal, since the primary offenders seem to be pajama manufacturers, but it was futile. By now, it is routine for me to inspect all of his clothes pre-donning and wield the scissors when necessary.

And I think that somewhere out there are people who take great delight in trying to find the scratchiest material known to man, just so they can attach it to the back of pajamas for a three month old.   They must be in cahoots with the scissor industry or something.

I was delighted when I learned that some companies were beginning to ban the tags and instead print the information on the article of clothing itself.  I actually try to look for clothing with the printing, because it just saves me time and I’m lazy like that.

Tag

However, not enough of them are doing it because I still need to regularly hack off those tags.

12 Responses to “The Prince and the Pea”

1. her indoors August 31, 2007 at 2:27 pm #

my son could never stand the tags either, mind you i dont like them as they let everyone know me age! LOL
    corky sent me over, great blog

2. Ana August 31, 2007 at 3:27 pm #

My son hates them as well! They are iritating and some very scratchy. Glad to hear some companies are removing them.

3. Awesome Mom August 31, 2007 at 4:06 pm #

The problem with some of the tagless labels is that they can wash off if you use the item frequently. That makes it hard to remember what size it was if you are pulling it out for a younger sibling. It is also frustrating to get mystery sized clothing handed down to you. I write the size of the item on the tag that is sewn into the side of the tagless item.

4. Glinda August 31, 2007 at 7:46 pm #

her indoors- Thanks! Glad you came over and checked us out!

Ana- I think more and more of them are jumping on the bandwagon.

AM- My son doesn’t have a younger sibling, so I never thought of that as an issue. I could totally see how frustrating it would be.

5. raincoaster August 31, 2007 at 8:15 pm #

I, too, hate labels. And the worst part is, after you hack them off, you have this little zombie revenant of a label that still finds a way to itch and poke at you. Quite a lot of the time the problem is with the thread they’re sewn on with, which means picking out the thread with a stitch ripper. And of course, sometimes they’re sewn right into the seam, so unless you want to get into wholesale reconstruction, you’re stuck with the little bits left behind. Insert Book of Revelations reference here…

6. Ortizzle September 1, 2007 at 7:47 pm #

Well, I would say your son is spot on. My HUSBAND hates tags in the back of his shirts. To the extent that every time I buy him a new shirt, the first official duty I have is to take a seam ripper and carefully get rid of the offender. Personally, I don’t much like them, either!

7. Glinda September 1, 2007 at 11:54 pm #

raincoaster- I hate that! And back in the old days when I was an inexperienced tag-ripper, I can’t tell you how many seams I destroyed!

Ortizzle- NOBODY likes tags! :)

8. Liz September 2, 2007 at 2:36 pm #

I don’t remember my girls being bothered by the tags, but I do remember cutting the feet off the footie jammies on several occasions!!

9. Ginger September 3, 2007 at 12:58 pm #

Oh how I love thsoe ‘printed on the fabric’ tags! Now, if we could just get magazines to quit putting all those carboard fillers in betweent the pages of the magazines!

10. Glinda September 3, 2007 at 2:31 pm #

Liz- I’ve not had to do that, but we stopped putting him in footsies after he was a toddler.

Ginger- Yes, the ones that just fly out when you open the page!

11. raincoaster September 3, 2007 at 4:54 pm #

Man, there’s a shop in Vancouver that sells hand painted GROWNUP-sized footie pjs and since I’m a blogger I’m searching my brain for reasons why I would ever wear anything else…I mean, it’s not as if I go outside.

And I fully intend to wallpaper my livingroom with those cardboard inserts. I’ll have a “Vanity Fair” theme!

1. Bagging and Sagging » Teeny Manolo - January 15, 2009

[...] written about it before, and it looks like I’m going to be writing about it again. I thought perhaps back then it was [...]