Bandanna Nation

(Scene: An American living room)

Mom: You know dear, I’m reading about a show with kids that CBS is filming.  They’re looking for participants.  I’m thinking little Jimmy might have some fun. You know, get him out of school and let him stretch his wings a bit.

Dad: What’s it about?

Mom: Well, it says here that if we sign this little contract, little Jimmy would basically be out in the New Mexico desert, unsupervised, in conditions that could kill him.  And, there may or may not be doctors around that could help him if he gets hurt.

Dad: Hmmm.  I’m not sure I like the sound of that.

Mom: Oh, and if he does die, CBS and the producers are absolved of any and all liability.

Dad: (scratching his head) Sounds kinda fishy. Can they really do that?

Mom:  Honey, it’s the media, they can do whatever they want.  He will do manual labor in order to keep himself alive, and he may or may not contract a sexually transmitted disease.  Which won’t be CBS’s fault, either.

Dad: I’m leaning towards no.

Mom: But listen, if he gets picked, he will be paid five thousand dollars!  And every episode, he has a chance to win a gold star that will be good for an extra twenty grand!

Dad: Where do I sign?

Mom: Right here.

Mom: But wait, I’m really not sure about Jimmy wearing one of those bandannas.  It makes him look a little dorky.  I don’t even like the word “bandanna.” It’s just awkward.

Dad: It’s five thousand dollars! Maybe even twenty five thousand!

Mom: You’re right.  What’s a little humiliation?  Give me that pen.

Kid Nation

12 Responses to “Bandanna Nation”

1. Margaret August 30, 2007 at 9:18 pm #

don’t even get me started on this show. Not even gonna THINK about this. Drives me bezerk and I don’t even have kiddos.

2. Twistie August 30, 2007 at 9:34 pm #

Ye gods and little purple fishes! (clutches random strangers’ children to save them from this insanity)

What a completely vile concept!

3. Frontier Former Editor August 30, 2007 at 9:59 pm #

Hasn’t this already been done with Shia LeBouef? ‘Holes’?

4. Glinda August 31, 2007 at 1:43 am #

Margaret- Inquiring minds want to know! No holding back, now!

Twistie- I agree with you, save the children!

FFE- It embarasses me to say that I have never read Holes, so I couldn’t tell you. Anyone else know?

5. raincoaster August 31, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Which one is Piggy? I loved the novel!

6. Captain Corky August 31, 2007 at 10:50 am #

Ralph macchio called, he want’s his bandanas back.

7. Glinda August 31, 2007 at 11:08 am #

Rain- Ack! FFE needs to answer that!

Capt. Corky- You crack me up. Have I said that before?

8. Captain Corky August 31, 2007 at 11:20 am #

Glinda I love reading your posts. I edited my post this morning and put in plug for you.

9. Ana August 31, 2007 at 3:33 pm #

LOL! Unbelievable this show! Although, I thought I read a blip somewhere that CBS might pull the plug on the show because of the pouring in of letters against it. I never read the article in full so I’m not sure.

10. Glinda August 31, 2007 at 7:47 pm #

Ana- CBS is getting so much publicity about this show, I am sure it will be a very tough decision to pull it.

11. Frontier Former Editor September 2, 2007 at 8:32 am #

I’m ashamed – I only saw the movie but my son read the book.

1. Weekend Blogging » Manolo's Shoe Blog: Shoes, Fashion, Celebrity, and Manolo! - September 1, 2007

[…] now the Manolo has Mr. Henry, Isidore Gallant, Never teh Bride, Plumcake, Francesca, Glinda, raincoaster, and Twistie; all of them funny, all of them smart, all of them super fantastic […]