It’s That Time of Year Again

Sooner than we realize, it will be time for the dreaded school picture.

It used to be that for the rest of eternity, only the top half of the outfit was to be visible.  All the parents of yore had to do was convince their child to wear at least a semi-decent shirt or sweater, and comb their hair.  Depending on the age group, both of those things can be tough. They were then good to go, and the biggest worry was that whatever was deemed in fashion at the time wouldn’t look supremely horrible in twenty years.  Although I think it is some sort of family tradition to go through the photo albums and make fun of the way your parents looked.   And no, I won’t be posting any of my class photos, thank you very much.

The class picture is a torture that everyone at some point is forced to endure. There are basic pointers to follow, such as avoiding white and making sure the remnants of your lunch and/or breakfast are no longer adhering to your face. Even with these well-known safeguards in place, there are those who still manage to bungle it.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you an example of how not to look for the class picture, courtesy of none other than Mr. George Clooney, circa whenever-bad-bowl-cuts-and-large-glasses-may-or-may-not-have-been-hip.  My friends, study this example and learn from his mistakes, I beg of you.

george_clooney_13.jpg

Even though I am slightly traumatized by this picture, I want George to know that I totally blame his parents.

There will be a quiz on this later.

13 Responses to “It’s That Time of Year Again”

1. Joan August 29, 2007 at 4:34 pm #

Couldn’t you have held off on this topic a few more weeks? My kids have been in a school since the beginning of the month, but I know quite a few in other parts of the country that are still blissfully enjoying their last week of summer.

That said, I have to contradict the “don’t wear white” rule; the LifeTouch folks that do the photos at my kids’ school have colored backgrounds, and white looks fine. In fact, white looks a lot better than most other options. A white background is such a horrendous choice I’d like to believe that no one is doing that anymore.

A photographer friend gave me this advice the last time she photographed my family: collars shorten the neck and often look awkward, so wear a scoop-neck T, which will nicely frame the face. Solid colors or subdued patterns are OK, but don’t go for anything with words or crazy-busy patterns. It’s best also if you can face the camera at an angle, rather than being caught, deer in the highlights fashion… but you can’t often manage that in a school shoot. The LifeTouch sample gallery examples are pretty much in line with my friend’s recommendations.

2. Paul A'Barge August 29, 2007 at 5:00 pm #

Nothing wrong with that, the point is what do you look like today? Please post a picture. It will at least inspire hope.

3. raincoaster August 29, 2007 at 5:10 pm #

He had dreamy eyes even back then! But yeah, did ANY kid escape the Seventies without a really unfortunate haircut? I posted this picture a year or so ago on my personal blog and titled it “Hope for the future” because he did turn out rather well once he ripened.

4. Ortizzle August 29, 2007 at 8:42 pm #

That makes me feel so much less traumatized about not being photogenic.

5. Glinda August 29, 2007 at 11:03 pm #

Joan- My friend who is a professional photographer is the one who told me about that rule when he was taking pictures of my son. He said that he doesn’t like photographing people wearing white, which is weird because a good chunk of his business is made up of brides!

Paul- Nice try!

Rain- Nope, I had a bowl cut myself there for a while.

Ortizzle- I think you are plenty photogenic!

6. dr sardonicus August 29, 2007 at 11:16 pm #

The moral of this story is that adolescence comes and goes, but not any kid can grow up to be George Clooney.

7. J August 30, 2007 at 9:00 am #

Hmmm…My daughter has a friend that looks kind of like that…I wonder if he’ll be a hunk when he grows up?

8. Captain Corky August 30, 2007 at 10:00 am #

LOL what a dork. I wonder whatever happened to dorky George Clooney.

9. Glinda August 30, 2007 at 5:58 pm #

Dr. S- no it takes some very special genes.

J- Let me know in ten years!

Capt. Corky- You crack me up.

10. Ginger August 31, 2007 at 1:47 pm #

I had some doozy photos growing up. Luckily, there all packed away at my parents house and I’m not tempted to post any of them on my blog.

11. Glinda August 31, 2007 at 8:05 pm #

Ginger- Mine are all at my parent’s house too! And I decree that they shall stay there forever!

1. Manolo’s Wednesday Miscellany » Manolo's Shoe Blog: Shoes, Fashion, Celebrity, and Manolo! - August 29, 2007

[...] Even though I am slightly traumatized by this picture, I want George to know that I totally blame hi… [...]

2. We’re One Years Old! » Teeny Manolo - August 27, 2008